RULES & Guidelines
• Entrants must be on a part-time adult education course in the UK this academic year.
• Courses must be in the academic year 2013-14.
• Courses may be accredited or non-accredited.
• Students should not submit work made as part of courses at degree level or above.
• Entrants must be over 18 years old
• Students can enter individually or as part of a group.
What may be entered?
• Students may submit any art, craft, multimedia or digital work, video or animation that they have produced in the current academic year within their institution. Students may only enter one piece of work.
• The entry must have been inspired by the V&A
’s collections and/or Museum of Childhood
, exhibitions or displays. Students may visit the V&A in person or refer to the V&A
’s websites or catalogues. Inspiration may come from several sources, including objects from different eras, countries or artistic disciplines, but this should be traceable. Students should create original designs and not make copies of museum pieces.
• The competition is NOT about copying. The aim of the competition is to encourage you to look at the works of art and use the ideas in them to create your own ORIGINAL art work.
• Please note that we cannot guarantee that we will be able to display large or heavy items.
• Entries must be made online by supplying a digital image of your work. Selected exhibitors will be required to supply their actual piece of work for the exhibition if selected.
Participants are invited to submit up to three digital images of one piece
of work inspired by the collections of the V&A South Kensington
(including the National Art Library) or the V&A Museum of Childhood
. In the case of students wishing to submit a video or moving image, please upload 3 stills images plus the URL of where your video can be viewed.
Entries must be made online
The deadline for submissions is 5pm, Friday 21 March 2014.
There is NO entry fee for participants.
Please note that you will be required to supply your actual piece of work for the exhibition if selected.
The panel of judges will review all entries received through a digital submission process.
Entries will be assessed using the following criteria:
• Evidence of inspiration from the V&A’s collections.
• Technical skill.
• Creativity and innovation.
• Evidence of benefit from adult education and from the Inspired by...
Approximately 50 works will be selected for the exhibition. Entrants will be notified of the outcome of the selection process by email by Friday 11 April 2014.
Exhibition & Prizegiving
Selected works will be exhibited at Morley Gallery
from 20 May – 19 June 2014
The Private View & Prizegiving will take place on Monday 19 May 2014, 6 – 8pm
, and all exhibitors will be invited.
Prizes of £50 will be awarded to the winners of the eight categories of works: Ceramics, Glass & Stained Glass, Jewellery, Sculpture, Textiles & Fashion, Theatre & Performance and Printmaking, Drawing & Painting and The Museum of Childhood.
The V&A will award a special prize of a year’s membership of the V & A for the winner and a guest.
NIACE will also be awarding a special prize of £100 learning vouchers.
Sale of works
Artists are able to sell their work during the exhibition. A commission of 30% of the selling price will be taken by Morley Gallery.
Delivery of work
Selected works for the exhibition must be delivered to Morley Gallery.
To send your work by post or courier, please mark it with your name and contact details and address it to:
61 WESTMINSTER BRIDGE ROAD
LONDON SE1 7HT
Work delivered by post or courier should arrive between Friday 9 May
and 12noon on Monday 12 May
Work can be delivered in person on Saturday 10 May, 10am – 4pm
Work received after the deadline will not be included in the exhibition.
Collection of work
All selected work must be available for display until Thursday 19 June 2014
Unsold work must be collected at the following time:
• Saturday 21 June, 10am - 4pm
If you wish your work to be collected by a courier please arrange for collection at the times listed above and inform the Gallery.
If you wish your work to be returned by post please ensure that you have included the postage for this (stamps, not cash).
Any work not collected by 4pm on Saturday 21 June 2014
will be disposed of.
Morley Gallery reserves the right to use images of selected work for any publicity or marketing material.